I have to admit. I have never been happier for a year to be over in my entire life.
2012 had some awesome times. . .some of the best I've ever had.
But I did some really hard things in 2012 that forced my growth, which is awesome.
But honestly I am so relieved to have that year behind me!
So for 2013 I hope to gain a little more control, for lack of a better word. Not really control, maybe just the ability to 'go with it'. I guess.
One thing I touched on, a little bit, was surrender.
This year I want to be a master surrender-er (so that's not a word, but you know what I'm sayin)
I want to take charge and change the things I can.
I want to let go of the things I can't.
My little perfectionist self says that I will find happiness the day I can control the world and that as soon as we're caught up on school, my house is clean, my laundry is done, and my home is sold, THEN I will find ultimate happiness. But that's a trap isn't it.
I have a little box. Nothing fancy. Just a box.
When I come across something I just can't handle anymore, something that is out of my control, and that could be anything. Relationships, finances, selling my house, whatever it might be, if it's weighing on me, and I can't do anything about it, I surrender it.
I write it down, and throw it in the box.
Sounds funny I know. But it works.
So this year my New Years Resolution is to surrender.
I really want to simplify again. I did that back in 2011 and I think that was my saving grace for 2012. I took everything out of my life that wasn't necessary. It was so refreshing!
This year I have a lot of complications. I'm trying to tell this house, trying to move into a new house, homeschool, a new baby, 2 business's to do the books for, and not to mention all the unexpected things like burst pipes, sick kids, etc etc.
I need to remind myself that the Lord will provide a way. One time Elder Holland was giving a talk about the Red Sea. He said "The Lord will provide a way, when there IS no way".
So I will conquer everything in my life I am supposed to, but I need to be open to a change in path, keep an open heart, and accept the challenges as they come.
So here are my goals for the new year:
1. Change what I can, love it, and surrender the rest
2. Be a better friend. We are wired for connection.
3. Take time out for myself. Write down my own dreams and desires.
4. Don't limit myself to practical. I am a risk freak. If there's risk involved, I just won't touch it. Time to shoot for the stars and cross nothing off the list as unatainable.
5. Focus on my family. Time to unplug from Facebook checks on the hour, turn off the tv, and enjoy family dinners again. My favorite time is night before bed. The house is quiet, the kids are playing after dinner, I'm putting the last of the dishes in to wash, and I hear a 3 and 5 year olds conversation.
6. Go to the temple. Let go and let God (love that saying)
7. Weekly date night- VITAL to a marriages health
8. Try skiing- EEEEK I'm nervous
9. Get off my sugar addiction
10. Get a Newfoundland Dog . . .150lbs of pure love!
So there they are. You know you have the right list, when you look at it without anxiety, but feel invigorated instead.
Cheers to 2013!!!
If you had to choose just one goal, what would it be? Just curious.
BTW. . .I'm working on my vision board and will share it soon. . .I dare you to do one!

No comments:
Post a Comment